Mold can grow everywhere and appear in the most unlikely places. Mold is commonly found on walls, ceilings and shower curtains. Many Long Island homeowners do not know about its presence that hides behind walls and underneath floors. They cannot recognize the signs right away, so they do nothing until the problem becomes out of control. Below are a few common signs that can indicate mold growth.
The most obvious sign of mold is its appearance. It has a dark green brownish appearance with a thick, fuzzy texture. On light-colored walls, look for discolored spots that appear separately or in clusters. The danger increases as the mold spores spread throughout the rest of the house.
Mold is known for its musty smell. However, this smell is not the sole indicator of mold and could be wet clothes that have not dried properly. The smell varies in strength based on its location, so it could smell worse when you lift up the floor panels. Combine the use of smell and other indicators to tell if you have mold or not.
Mold grows wherever moisture is present. Flooded homes and objects that are constantly wet, such as bathroom floors and shower curtains, are sources of this growth. Without moisture, it cannot grow at all or will not survive long.
Wherever you have leaks, you have a potential source of mold. Find these sources near water fixtures like sinks, showers and toilets. It’s also important to check for leaks in rooms that are barely checked like the attic or basement.
Review the parts of the house that are excessively soft. You’ll notice if some parts of the bathroom or kitchen floor are too soft. There may be mold growing underneath without anyone noticing it. Also, feel for fuzzy textures in hidden areas like underneath sinks or cabinets and behind walls.
The most unwanted indicator of mold is an illness. Mold creates symptoms that are similar to the flu or an allergic reaction – coughing, inflamed sinuses and respiratory problems like shortness of breath. With long-term exposure, you may develop asthma or digestive problems. The first step is to remove yourself from the infested area before the symptoms worsen. You should never wait until you get sick before you remove a mold infestation.
Most homeowners in Long Island do not act until a disaster happens. They do not maintain their homes until the appliances stop working or the walls change color before their eyes. It’s important that you identify the signs that you have mold, even if you cannot see it easily. Find a Long Island professional like the G-Tech company that handles mold removal and water damage restoration.