How to Tell If There Is Mold in Your Home

How to Tell If There Is Mold in Your Home

If you’ve been having allergies only when you’re in your home, there’s a good Mold Is In Your Homepossibility that there’s mold growth. Common allergic reactions to mold include a runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing and sore eyes.

Mold Smell

One of the easiest ways to tell if there is mold growing in your home is the smell of mold. If you’ve smelled mold in the past, you probably won’t forget the smell. If you’ve never smelled mold before, mold smells musty and damp. If you smell mold in your home, you’ll want to find where it’s at and remove it.

Mold Growth

Many people mistake small amounts of mold growth for dirt and soot. If you see mold growth in your home, you should contact our restoration company in Long Island, New York, immediately. Mold can spread quickly. If you see mold in your home, conditions are favorable for more mold to grow.

Water Leaks

If you have current or previous water leaks in your home, there’s likely mold growth somewhere. Water leaks provide moisture, and too much moisture can cause mold to form.

Previous Flooding

If your home has ever been flooded, you likely have mold. Mold will likely be growing in places where water remained the longest. The best thing to do after a flood is to contact our restoration company in Long Island, New York.

Mold Is In Your Home


A lot of humidity in your home can cause condensation and water accumulation. A humidity level over 60 percent can cause mold to grow. You’ll want to make sure your home has a humidity level between 30 and 60 percent. Buy a humidity monitor to determine the humidity levels in your home.


Having condensation in your home means that there’s a lot of moisture in the air. If you see condensation, you may have mold in your home. You’ll want to look for mold growth where there’s condensation. If your indoor pipes are rusting, you have a lot of condensation in your home.

Health Issues

Black mold can have adverse health effects as It contains mycotoxins. The top symptoms associated with being exposed to black mold include fatigue, weakness, headache, light sensitivity, poor memory, difficulty concentrating, morning stiffness, joint pain, shortness of breath, sinus congestion, chronic cough, tingling, numbness, and unusual skin sensations. If you or someone in your household have a combination of any of these symptoms, you’ll want to contact our restoration company to inspect your home.

Contact Us

We are a restoration company in Long Island, New York. If your home ever experiences a fire, flood or sewage issue, we’ll come and clean it up for you. We’ll restore your home to the way it was before it was damaged. We have staff available every hour of the day if you experience an emergency. We have over 15 years of experience. Feel free to contact us, and we’ll respond to you as quickly as we can.

Eight Health Problems Caused By Mold

Eight Health Problems Caused By Mold

If you have mold growing in your Long Island, N.Y., home, or business, then it is Mold Is In Your Homeessential to take immediate action. The signs of having mold in a building include seeing fuzzy or slimy discolorations on walls, floors, or ceilings. There are many types of mold, and it can have a variety of colors such as green, black or yellow. Mold can also create a foul odor, especially when it contaminates the fibers of carpeting or draperies. In some cases, mold is hidden inside wall spaces or underneath floor tile, but this substance can cause numerous health problems.

Health Problem 1: Sinus Congestion

You might think that your sinus congestion is caused by a cold, but when you have toxic mold in a building, this is one of the most common health problems caused by mold.

Health Problem 2: Throat Irritation

Throat irritation is an additional symptom of having mold contamination in a building. You might have a chronic sore throat, or you might cough and always sneeze because the mold spores are irritating your lungs.

Health Problem 3: Skin Rashes

The mold in a building will create spores that float in the air, and these spores land on all surfaces, including your clothing and skin. A rash caused by toxic mold can make your skin feel dry and itchy.

Health Problem 4: Runny Nose

Rather than having congestion in your sinuses, you can develop a runny nose from mold contamination. Mold is a fungus, and your sinus cavity will create additional mucus to get rid of this pathogen.

Health Problem 5: Itchy Eyes

Mold Is In Your HomeSeveral species of toxic mold will irritate the tissues on the surfaces of your eyes. As your eyes are irritated, your body will release antihistamines, leading to an itchy sensation on the surface of your eyeballs.

Health Problem 6: Headaches

If you suffer from frequent migraines, then you may have a mold contamination in your Long Island home or workplace. In some cases, mold is growing in a building’s ductwork, where it is impossible to see.

Health Problem 7: Respiratory Distress

Your body’s immune system can react quickly to mold spores by trying to close your airways. This leads to respiratory distress or dangerous asthma attacks.

Health Problem 8: Cognition Impairments

One of the worst problems associated with exposure to mold is cognitive impairments. Individuals who have had exposure to some varieties of mold have foggy thinking and memory loss.

Call For a Professional Mold Cleanup Today

If you have mold growing in a Long Island business or home, then contact Restoration Dispatched. Experts recommend a professional mold cleanup so that property owners can avoid any additional exposure to dangerous mold spores. Our technicians are highly trained for the effective removal of mold-contaminated materials.

What To Do After A House Fire

What To Do After A House Fire on Long Island

Experiencing a house fire is Mold Is In Your Homedevastating, and something almost no one is prepared to go through. In the unfortunate event that you experience a home fire, following a few simple steps can make the house fire cleanup experience a little less stressful.

Once the fire has been extinguished, you want to take as many pictures as possible. Documenting all the property damage and personal items damaged in the fire will be helpful with your insurance claim. After documenting the fire, you should contact your insurance company and a fire damage cleanup & restoration company like Restoration Dispatched.

Know When to Reenter the Home

After a fire, your house is full of soot and debris. In any situation, you should never reenter when there is still smoke or fire in the home; you should wait until the fire department says it is safe to enter the home in case there is structural damage. When inside the fire-damaged home, make sure to be careful where you walk as there could be debris or damage to the floor.

Contact Your Insurance Company

After the fire is extinguished and everyone is safe, now is the time to contact your insurance company. You need money to start rebuilding the house and replacing your belongings as soon as possible. Your insurance company should cover the house and contents, along with lost wages and temporary living accommodations.

Do Not Restore the Area Yourself

For your safety, do not restore a burnt-out house on your own.  Some homes have live wires, broken glass, and falling debris that make cleanups dangerous. Breathing in the soot and mold spores is another risk to your health.

You should recover only salvageable items and leave the thorough cleanups to the professionals. They have decades of experience in cleaning up homes after severe fires. Save a lot of time and energy by working with restoration companies on Long Island.